Saturday, June 6, 2015

What happens when students use text-to-speech and word predict programs to compose text?


As I’ve taught English to my students, I’ve wondered if there is any correlation between sound and letter or symbol affecting students’ English learning. When I read through this “What happens when students use text-to-speech and word predict programs to compose text?,” I thought that there is. What I found when I taught my students English was that my students had difficulty finding out proper words that they tried to express and there was a gap between the words that they wanted to write and the ones that they actually wrote. That was because they didn’t know how to pronounce the words and spell them. Therefore, the words they pronounced and the ones they actually spelled out didn’t match, which made it difficult for others reading their writing to understand what the students tried to say because of many spelling errors. I agree that the correct spell of words is not the most important factor for improving students’ writing and English proficiency. However, the more accurately students spell out words, the confident they become to write their own writing assignment. Through reading this article, I feel sure that I need to teach relation between sounds and symbols (letter) and to teach not only how to pronounce words and the distinction between words that have similar pronunciation so that students can figure out what the difference is between the meaning of those words when letting students learn and memorize the words, which will help students have confidence in their writing and improve their writing without concerning spelling errors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment